Re: [pgsql-www] Developer's Wiki

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Developer's Wiki
Date: 2006-09-17 10:05:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 09:15:24PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
> > Gregory Stark wrote:
> >> A TODO list people can freely add stuff to is precisely what would make it
> >> useful. It would have things we don't already know.
>
> > I am just going to hope that you are kidding about this one.
>
> Fortunately, none of the real developers would have to pay any attention
> to any such page ... and you can bet they wouldn't.

Well, there is a reason why I put a big label there "Unofficial TODO
List". I tried to make it clear that it's not an official stance of the
project.

If someone wants to spend an afternoon putting up a coherent
description of their wishlist item complete with possible problems and
solutions, then I don't see why we should stop them. The page someone
has put up covering XML told me more about the current state of XML
support in postgres than a few hours of archive searching would.

It's just not official, that doesn't make it any less useful.

Two points I'm not clear about on this thread though:

1. Authorized user: is that someone with an account, or someone who has
been authorized by someone else?

2. I can see the official todo list being in CVS, which gives it all
the access protection it needs. A wiki todo list can stay where it is,
just that it's not official.

[I've just made a reference to the TODO list in CVS from the wiki, that
should help].

Have a nice day,