Some news about French legislation and continuent servers

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Some news about French legislation and continuent servers
Date: 2007-10-29 19:02:24
Lists: pgeu-general

Hi everyone

Today we saw to good news coming for PostgreSQL Europe !

First of all we finally got answers from the french authorities to our
questions about the nationality of the members of a French association.
In turns out the the 1901 law that rules the french association does not
requires the member of the administration council to be french . It's not
even mandatory to live in France. The only requirement is that the official
address of the association must be located in France. That's all.
However french authorities told me that the paperwork for the creation and
administrative registration will be much simpler if the very first President
actually lives in France.

So i think that it would a good idea to nominate a temporary Board of
Directors composed of french people. These people would create the
association and be replaced by a democratically elected Board as soon as all
european members can gather somewhere to meet each others.

By the way, this nationality question was one of the last issues that
remained unclear to us. So this leaves us an open way to the creation of
PostgreSQL Europe as a french association. We're now working on the
translation of the french association statutes so that you can figured out
what the PostgreSQL Europe statutes would look like if it was based in
France.

Second good news comes from Continuent, Their french unit in Grenoble is
willing to give servers to the PostgreSQL community. As far as i know we're
talking about 4 HP servers... Dalibo is ok to provide free hosting for these
servers in its datacenter in Marseille. Some of these servers (1? 2? ) could
be dedicated to PostgreSQL Europe.

I guess the question that comes right after is : "what will we put on these
machines ?" :-)

If you have any questions about these two good news, don't hesitate to ask !

Regards

--
damien clochard
http://dalibo.org | http://dalibo.com