Re: Some news about French legislation and continuent servers

From: Robert Gravsjö <robert(at)blogg(dot)se>
To: damien(at)dalibo(dot)info
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some news about French legislation and continuent servers
Date: 2007-10-30 15:21:24
Lists: pgeu-general

damien clochard wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Today we saw to good news coming for PostgreSQL Europe !
>
> First of all we finally got answers from the french authorities to our
> questions about the nationality of the members of a French association.
> In turns out the the 1901 law that rules the french association does not
> requires the member of the administration council to be french . It's not
> even mandatory to live in France. The only requirement is that the official
> address of the association must be located in France. That's all.

That's good news!

> However french authorities told me that the paperwork for the creation and
> administrative registration will be much simpler if the very first President
> actually lives in France.
>
> So i think that it would a good idea to nominate a temporary Board of
> Directors composed of french people. These people would create the
> association and be replaced by a democratically elected Board as soon as all
> european members can gather somewhere to meet each others.

IMHO this seems like a plausible way.

> By the way, this nationality question was one of the last issues that
> remained unclear to us. So this leaves us an open way to the creation of
> PostgreSQL Europe as a french association. We're now working on the

That leaves us to decide for italian or french based pgeu. We do have
the info we need to decide on this, don't we?

> translation of the french association statutes so that you can figured out
> what the PostgreSQL Europe statutes would look like if it was based in
> France.

This is probably a lot of work and I'm sorry I don't know french but I
will be more than happy to proof read and help out anyway I can as I'm
sure most of this list members are.

Will the document need to be approved by french authorities?

> Second good news comes from Continuent, Their french unit in Grenoble is
> willing to give servers to the PostgreSQL community. As far as i know we're
> talking about 4 HP servers... Dalibo is ok to provide free hosting for these
> servers in its datacenter in Marseille. Some of these servers (1? 2? ) could
> be dedicated to PostgreSQL Europe.

This is a nice surprise. :)
Will these servers be pointed to by pgug.eu and/or postgresql.eu?

> I guess the question that comes right after is : "what will we put on these
> machines ?" :-)

I don't see a problem here. ;P

/roppert