Lock partitions

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Lock partitions
Date: 2006-09-10 23:57:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I see this in the CVS commits for 8.2. Did we determine the proper
number of lock partitions? Should it be based on the number of buffers
or concurrent sessions allowed?

Divide the lock manager's shared state into 'partitions', so as to
reduce contention for the former single LockMgrLock. Per my recent
proposal. I set it up for 16 partitions, but on a pgbench test this
gives only a marginal further improvement over 4 partitions --- we need
to test more scenarios to choose the number of partitions.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us