Re: Lock partitions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lock partitions
Date: 2006-09-11 00:30:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I see this in the CVS commits for 8.2. Did we determine the proper
> number of lock partitions? Should it be based on the number of buffers
> or concurrent sessions allowed?

No. NUM_LOCK_PARTITIONS needs to be a compile-time constant for a
number of reasons, and there is absolutely zero evidence to justify
making any effort (and spending any cycles) on a variable value.

It would be nice to see some results from the OSDL tests with, say, 4,
8, and 16 lock partitions before we forget about the point though.
Anybody know whether OSDL is in a position to run tests for us?