Re: invalidating cached plans

From: Michael Adler <adler(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: invalidating cached plans
Date: 2005-03-14 17:01:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:53:36AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Probably the first thing to do is look around at the plausible users of
> this thing and see what they'd find most convenient.

This may be totally irrelevant:

Our current load distributors, like pgpool, have no way of knowing the
side effects of backend functions. It would be interesting if the
client could send each potential query to the master saying, "execute
this query if there are side effects, otherwise do no operation and
and let me execute this read-only query on a replicated copy."

-Mike