Re: invalidating cached plans

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: invalidating cached plans
Date: 2005-03-14 07:53:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I would like to see this folded together with creation of a centralized
>> plan caching module.

> Interesting. Can you elaborate on how you'd envision call sites making
> use of this module?

I hadn't really gotten as far as working out a reasonable API for the
module. The $64 question seems to be what is the input: a textual query
string, a raw parse analysis tree, or what? And what sort of key does
the caller want to use to re-find a previously cached plan?

Probably the first thing to do is look around at the plausible users of
this thing and see what they'd find most convenient.