Re: pgAccess via ssh?

From: Oliver Fromme <olli(at)lurza(dot)secnetix(dot)de>
To: rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com (Ron St-Pierre)
Cc: 1100100(at)gmail(dot)com (Mike), pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org (pgsql-novice)
Subject: Re: pgAccess via ssh?
Date: 2004-09-03 11:09:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> You don't need to putty into the box to use pgAdmin, you just tell
> pgAdmin the ip address, user (postgres),
> and password (unless it's trusted). This works as long as you've allowed
> access from your remote ip address
> eg in /data/pg_hba.conf you might have something like this
> host all all 24.233.244.45 255.255.255.255 trust
> this line trusts all users connecting from 24.233.244.45, so for example
> pgAdmin could gain db access.
>
> > No Cygwin necessary for this situation?
> >
> No cygwin needed.

However, in that case the DB connection will _not_ be
through ssh, so it will be unencrypted and insecure.

From Mike's initial mail I got the impression that he
wanted the connection to the PostgreSQL server to go
through ssh (which is basically a good thing, because
you get ssh's authentication and encryption features).

Best regards
Oliver

> Can the denizens of this group enlighten me about what the
> advantages of Python are, versus Perl ?
"python" is more likely to pass unharmed through your spelling
checker than "perl".
-- An unknown poster and Fredrik Lundh