Re: benchmarking the query planner

From: "Vladimir Sitnikov" <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: benchmarking the query planner
Date: 2008-12-11 18:53:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> BTW, does anyone have an opinion about changing the upper limit for
> default_stats_target to, say, 10000? These tests suggest that you
> wouldn't want such a value for a column used as a join key, but
> I can see a possible argument for high values in text search and
> similar applications.

Do you consider using hash tables?
I am not sure hash is a perfect match here, however I guess some kind of
data structure might improve N^2 behaviour. Looks like that would improve
both array_eq (that will narrow the list of possible arrays to the single
hash bucket) and large _target (I guess that would improve N^2 to N)

Regards,
Vladimir Sitnikov