Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)
Date: 2008-12-11 18:32:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thursday 11 December 2008 18:32:50 Tom Lane wrote:
>>> How can we stick all of these in the same column at the same time?
>>
>> Why would we want to?

> Because we want to use SQL-based row access control and SELinux-based row
> access control at the same time. Isn't this exactly one of the objections
> upthread? Both must be available at the same time.

Well, the objection I was raising is that they should control the same
thing. Otherwise we are simply inventing an invasive, high-cost,
nonstandard(*) feature that we have had zero field demand for.

regards, tom lane

(*) Worse than nonstandard: it actively breaks semantics demanded by
the standard. If I had my druthers we would flat out reject row-level
security filtering of any kind. I don't want us to expend a lot of
effort implementing multiple kinds.