Re: benchmarking the query planner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Vladimir Sitnikov" <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: benchmarking the query planner
Date: 2008-12-11 19:06:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Vladimir Sitnikov" <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Do you consider using hash tables?

Doubt it's really worth it, unless there's some way to amortize the
setup cost across multiple selectivity estimations; which would surely
complicate life.

One thing that just now occurred to me is that as long as we maintain
the convention that MCV lists are in decreasing frequency order, one can
take any prefix of the list and it's a perfectly good MCV list of less
resolution. So one way to reduce the time taken in eqjoinsel is to set
an upper limit on the number of entries considered *by that routine*,
whereas other estimator functions could use larger lists.