Re: large objects and pg 7.3.x

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: andremachado(at)techforce(dot)com(dot)br
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: large objects and pg 7.3.x
Date: 2003-08-19 01:22:42
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Andre Felipe Machado <andremachado(at)techforce(dot)com(dot)br> writes:
> Since pg 7.3.0, the prescribed workaround to create a new type "lo" does not
> work anymore.

I think this is just a matter of obsolete documentation --- if you can
point to where it still says to use a CREATE TYPE hack, we can fix it.
The easy way to define "lo" now is just as a domain over oid:
CREATE DOMAIN lo AS oid;

> I already tested the semi-official postgresql-contrib package that contains a
> "lo" implementation in c and sql.

However, if you want the cleanup semantics that the contrib package
offers, by all means use it instead. I don't believe ODBC should care
which way you've defined "lo".