Re: large objects and pg 7.3.x

From: Andre Felipe Machado <andremachado(at)techforce(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: large objects and pg 7.3.x
Date: 2003-08-19 10:45:08
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,
Many thanks for your answer.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/faq/faq.php?faq_id=52

> The easy way to define "lo" now is just as a domain over oid:
> CREATE DOMAIN lo AS oid;

I already tested this idea before contacting the list. Unfortunately it does
not work also. At least from OpenOffice 1.1rc2 connected by psqlodbc or
unixodbc.
Also without success, tested the idea from Hiroshi Saito
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-hackers/2003-06/msg00359.php )
Both suggestions did not work.
Using postgresql-contrib "lo", I was able to insert and extract images using
sql commands from inside psql.
When inserted this way, psqlodbc can DISPLAY images at OpenOffice.org forms.
But can not insert new ones.

> However, if you want the cleanup semantics that the contrib package
> offers, by all means use it instead. I don't believe ODBC should care
> which way you've defined "lo".
>
> regards, tom lane

Please, could you give some guidance, or point to some psqlodbc devel
documentation in order to modify the code?
I have very limited desktop programming coding skill , but will try to get it
working, without disrupting whole code.
The contrib lo cleanup code seems to be context sensitive, adapting to the
variable details.
The contrib lo definition does not use "passedbyvalue", but use a pointer
instead. It uses variable length output too.
Regards.
Andre Felipe