Re: Dynamically adding index types (was GIT indexes)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dynamically adding index types (was GIT indexes)
Date: 2007-09-21 14:16:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > We're able to dynamically add AMs in the way you suggest, but there is
> > no way to alter the RMgrTable to either add a new RM or re-assign one of
> > the unused RMs.
>
> Hmmm...

> > 1. Remove the "Const" in front of RmgrTable in rmgr.c. That would allow
> > re-assignment of the two existing unused RMs.
>
> Useless, as there's no way for an add-on AM to cause the value to be
> changed before recovery begins.

OK, sounds like the only way is to have a dedicated plug-in.

if (resource_manager_hook)
set RmgrTable in plugin
else
normal static definition (but no longer Const)

...or variations of the above depending upon whether we want to allow
redefining existing Rmgrs - not something I personally want.

Plus something to say "xlog record found for unknown Rmgr".

Plus changes to all places that refer to RM_MAX_ID and replace with a
global value of RmgrTableEntries.

We can then get rid of the two reserved Rmgr values...

Will that do it?

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com