Re: Weird new time zone

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Weird new time zone
Date: 2004-07-10 16:40:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Attached is the startup log. I should point out that the Casey
> Antarctic base is in the Australian Antarctic Territory and it is in the
> same time zone as Perth, Western Australia for me:

Looking in the data files,

Zone Antarctica/Casey 0 - zzz 1969
8:00 - WST # Western (Aus) Standard Time

Zone Australia/Perth 7:43:24 - LMT 1895 Dec
8:00 Aus WST 1943 Jul
8:00 - WST 1974 Oct lastSun 2:00s
8:00 1:00 WST 1975 Mar Sun>=1 2:00s
8:00 - WST 1983 Oct lastSun 2:00s
8:00 1:00 WST 1984 Mar Sun>=1 2:00s
8:00 - WST 1991 Nov 17 2:00s
8:00 1:00 WST 1992 Mar Sun>=1 2:00s
8:00 - WST

which if I recall the notation right says that Casey has never observed
DST (it's always GMT+8 == WST) while Perth has observed DST in just
three years since WWII. So unless the timezone probing code happens to
check those particular years, we have no chance of distinguishing the
two zones.

Perhaps, rather than just probing a few selected years, we had better
check every year since 1970 ...