Re: win32 port

From: "zuhans(at)iname(dot)com" <zuhans(at)iname(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win32 port
Date: 2004-07-10 10:22:42
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers-win32

hello martijn,

i know, on linux this is really a lot easier and the os is by far more
advanced than windows (my opinion) - especially concerning the issue
"user". but...

...i have little experience in linux and i work on windows.

...and i don't want to run postgresql as service - there are so many
services in windows (xp) running - every piece of software installs some
more or less dubious things in memory... - that the overall system-speed
is decreasing a lot the longer you run your computer.

...and - as far as i can see - to handle users is a young and not easy
to use feature in most windows-systems. as you surely know, windows was
mostly a one-user-system (just root). that made life easy but very
dangerous. nowadays i can create users but lots of windows-programs
still rely on beeing root (beginning from installation and ending with
using them). so many programs must be started - every time! - with
su-user-rights. so, if you made your windows-system more secure in
creating (and running your system as) a more restricted user, you always
have to enter "su". this makes you wonder, if the system is then more
secure any more on the one side, and after several times of working like
this, you wish your system back to old-style just to have an easy way
for working again on the other side.
all this is much more a problem, if ones computer/laptop is not only for
oneselfe but for all the other family-members too. e.g. you make a
restricted user for your children (not so much for your wife...) then
you have to either run to them, every time they want to run programs to
enter "su" or you give them "su"-infos - now try to decide yourselfe.

this is a problem for windows user - and for programmers on windows too.

so - back to the problem again: why couldn't there be - just for testing
and programming purposes!! - a way to start postgresql even with root
(and maybe - as "nobody" proposed - with that info-popup-window at the
beginning as a good reminder for somebody who would really try to make
this a production system)?

greetings from rainy salzburg/austria
hans