Re: "SQL" REPLACE SYNTAX

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgresSQL PHPlist <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Manuel Lemos <mlemos(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "SQL" REPLACE SYNTAX
Date: 2002-01-23 21:39:51
Lists: pgsql-php

Folks,

You can propose this syntax additon on the pgsql-sql list, which exists
to discuss these kinds of issues. However, I will warn you that the
core developers have already rejected the REPLACE syntax once as an
unnecessary deviation from the SQL92 standard.

There was a long discussion following that rejection, sometime last
summer I think, about how one could use triggers or rules to ape this
functionality on an INSERT statement. See the pgsql-sql list
archives.

You can, of course, also write the ANSI committee and propose that
REPLACE be added to SQL3. Good luck.

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533