Re: Long running queries and timeouts

From: postgresql(at)finner(dot)de
To: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
Cc: PostgresSQL PHP list <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Long running queries and timeouts
Date: 2002-01-23 20:39:24
Lists: pgsql-php

On 23-Jan-02 Francisco Reyes sat down, thought for a long time and then
wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Actually, my web developer and I talked about the programming
>> necessary
>> to do this, and decided that it was easier to break up the
>> long-running function into 3 smaller functions. So, no, we don't
>> have
>> any sample code. In fact, we might be willing to buy some code
>> that
>> creates a progress bar from someone who does have it ...
>
> I can't imagine a "progress bar". In particular if you are waiting
> for a
> reply from the DB server.

I found a nice one on http://www.lyrics.de! ;-)

It´s just a fake: An animated GIF picture with a progress bar. I think,
they made some statistics on database queries, added 10% and created
the GIF. The result is, that the waiting time seems shorter. Nice.

Correct me anybody please, who can proof that this progress bar is no
fake. I´d like to know this technique, too.

Greetings,
--
Frank Finner

And now there is no turning back at all.
(M. Moorcock, "Elric Of Melnibone")"