Are postgreSQL views UPDATEable?

From: Stuart Rison <stuart(at)ludwig(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Are postgreSQL views UPDATEable?
Date: 1999-03-26 11:38:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Found this snippet in a postgreSQL GENERAL posting:

>Ross J. Reedstrom <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu> wrote
>
>Eric -
>I've redirected your question to the general list, since it seems to fit
>in there better than the sql list. I think you're confusing mySQL's
>limitations with those of PostgreSQL (PG from here on) - PG does in fact
>support views, has for quite a while. They're even updateable.
^^^^^^^^^^^
What exactly does this mean?

Does you can INSERT into a view with tuples being inserted into the base
table(s) accordingly?

Does it mean you can UPDATE values in the views and values in the base
table(s) will be accordingly modified?

I have tried both and have not got either of these to work, even on single
base tables views.

I'm running PG 6.4.0.

regards,

Stuart.

| Stuart Rison | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
+-------------------------+ 91 Riding House Street |
| Tel. (0171) 878 4041 | London, W1P 8BT, UNITED KINGDOM. |
| Fax. (0171) 878 4040 | stuart(at)ludwig(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk |