Re: Which Front End for Postgresql

From: manuel(at)des01(dot)sanyres(dot)es
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which Front End for Postgresql
Date: 2001-05-17 07:48:18
Lists: pgsql-general

In article <3b061853(dot)20936084(at)news-server(dot)tampabay(dot)rr(dot)com>, Al Frick wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2001 15:24:00 +0000 (UTC), keithmur(at)mindspring(dot)com
> ("Keith G. Murphy") wrote:
>

>>Now, if we're talking clients, rather than a server, there'd be a better
>>case for RH, though I'd probably not be persuaded. ;-)
>>
> My users want to keep their Windows workstations. They like Office,
> god knows why. What can I use as the client software to develop
> database apps if I go with Linux, Debian, and PostgreSQL?
>
> Also can I create a file server with the above software to hold my
> word processing and other Office files?
>
> What do you recommend as a backup hardware and software for this
> environment?
>
> Thansks for the reply,
>
> Al Frick

Hi.

You can keep you win workstations. Just develop web apps or use
VB or anything you like that can use odbc. I found web apps
easy to develop, easy to mantain and with great user interfaces.
Aparently, when a user works with a web app he has in mind
Internet and the work is more like a Inet surfing, so he enjoy
a little more (yes, a little).

As for your file server, yes. You can use Samba. It works as a
Windows NT Server for domain logins, shared directories and so.
It behaves transparently to win workstations. Here we have a
Samba server with 25 win workstations and, from my experience,
it works even better than Windows NT.
Most linux distributions comes with Samba.

http://www.samba.org/

For backup we have a 24Gb tape and Bru, a commercial (but not
expensive) software that works great. If the tape you buy is
linux compatible you can use standard tools like tar, cpio
dump and others. We have nasty problems with backup restoring
with our tape (the tape that comes with an IBM Netfinity 7000)
when using tar, but Bru works simply perfect.
We use six tapes by month, five for each working day and one
for system (home made scripts and the like).

http://www.bru.com/

--
Manuel Cano Muñoz