More flexible case-sensitivity options in future PostgreSQL?

From: "Flacco" <flacco002(at)spambadtwilight-systems(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: More flexible case-sensitivity options in future PostgreSQL?
Date: 2001-06-09 23:43:14
Lists: pgsql-general

The way PostgreSQL handles case of database object names is presenting some
problems for me as I try to design a Java application that must access
either an existing SQL database or a PostgreSQL database transparently.

Ideally:

- when creating a database object (like a table), I'd like to have psql
create it using names just as I've specified them - preserving case.

- when evaluating SQL statements, I would like to either:

a) have db object references be case insensitive, or
b) preserve the case used to refer to object references

...and I'd like to be able to do this without having to embed everything
in quotes.

Is there any chance we'll see a config setting or switch to allow this behavior
in a future version of PostgreSQL?

Thanks