Bug in char ?

From: sdupille(at)aim(dot)fr
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Bug in char ?
Date: 1998-12-30 14:45:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello !

I got a strange problme with a table that I import via
flat text files. In this table there is some fields of type
char (n). When I import this table, I got an error :
"ERROR: Tuple is too big: size 8576"
Althought the record in the file is not more than about 4500
characters. When I use fields of type varchar (n), the import is
correct. Great !

But the thing I don't understand is if I grow this record, and
if it has a size of more than 8000 characters, the import still do it
right ! So where is the problem ? I don't understand what is appening !

This error is reproducted under Postgres 6.3 and 6.4 (both
under Linux RedHat 5.1 kernel 2.0.36).

I also got another question : is there an operator or a
function to get the size of a field, a row, or a table ?

--
___
{~._.~} Stephane - DUST - Dupille