Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Roadmap for FE/BE protocol redesign
Date: 2003-03-14 17:07:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu (Greg Stark) wrote:
> So, just to throw out a wild idea: If you're talking about making large
> changes to the on-the-wire protocol. Have you considered using an existing
> database protocol? This would avoid having to reinvent the wheel every time
> postgres implements a new feature like prepared queries, bind arrays, or
> metadata information.
>
> There is a free implementation of the TDS (Tabular DataStream) protocol used
> by Sybase and MSSQL. I don't know how much of it would be interesting for
> postgres and how much is Sybase/MSSQL-specific.
>
> It would be pretty neat if postgres could use precisely the same on-the-wire
> protocol as other major databases, just requiring a separate high level driver
> to interpret the semantic meaning of the data.
>
> At the very least it sounds like interesting to do a compare and contrast as
> far as understanding what advantages the features TDS has have and what
> disadvantages, before postgres possibly misses good ideas or makes the same
> mistakes.

Let me take the liberty of pointing people to documentation to the TDS
protocol:
<http://www.freetds.org/tds.html>

I agree that there are far worse ideas, when opening up the DB
protocol, than to look at some existing protocols, and TDS would seem
a reasonable one. It doesn't look overly efficient, but it's not
overtly gratuitously inefficient...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html