Re: [HACKERS] NUMERIC and Perl

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: kar(at)webline(dot)dk
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] NUMERIC and Perl
Date: 1999-03-03 19:17:08
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> > Looks like not, unless I'm forgetting a feature...
>
> That's why I asked. So I hope it will be compatible with Perl's
> Math-BigInteger module.

NUMERIC isn't INTEGER data!

Well - you can define an attribute as NUMERIC(33,0) and all
values assigned to that column will be rounded to the closest
integer (an integer that can hold values up to 999
quintillions exactly). But as soon as you do calculations
with other values that have fractions, there will a decimal
point and digits after that appear in the result. Don't know
how Perl might respond to it. Maybe you need to round the
result explicitly on calculations.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #