Re: intel vs amd benchmark for pg server

From: dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com (Mike Castle)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: intel vs amd benchmark for pg server
Date: 2002-04-26 22:30:28
Lists: pgsql-general

In article <20020426093655(dot)A16995(at)amd(dot)universe>,
<pgsql-general-owner+M23830(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>To my great surprise I have to conclude that intel is the winner.

Does the SIS mother board use VIA chip sets for the harddrive?

If so, that is probably your problem.

As pointed out, DB stuff is IO bound, not CPU. On the other hand, a kernel
build is more CPU bound.

The VIA chip sets, more or less, suck. See various posts by Andre Hedrick
for the Linux view point. I'm betting you'll see similar analysis on the
*BSD sides, though I've never looked.

mrc
--
Mike Castle dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/
We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan. -- Watchmen