Not all functions in schema pg_catalog are "visible"

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Not all functions in schema pg_catalog are "visible"
Date: 2010-03-02 23:22:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I just noticed that that there are functions defined (such as pg_catalog.time(timestamp) that can only be called when prefixed with pg_catalog. However other functions (that are at first glance defined identically to time()) can be called without prefixing them with pg_catalog.

My understanding is that time(timestamp) is there to support the various CAST ( .. ) expressions, but why isn't it exposed as a "regular" function as well (as it seems to work just fine when being called directly)

So, just out of curiosity: how could I tell by looking at pg_proc (or other system tables) which of those functions is "public" and which is not?

Regards
Thomas