Re: jdbc lob and postgresql

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jdbc lob and postgresql
Date: 2007-12-13 08:24:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Kris Jurka, 13.12.2007 08:24:
>> Using a PreparedStatement with setBinaryStream() to insert the blob
>> and getBinaryStream() to read the BLOB works fine for me.
>>

> It depends how you want to handle binary data on the server side.
> get/setBinaryStream only work with the bytea data type. getBlob/setBlob
> only work with real large objects (oid data type). Both methods work,
> it's just a tradeoff on how you want handle it on the server. The API
> downside of Blob is that only JDBC4 offers a portable way to create a
> Blob (Connection.createBlob) and the pg driver does not implement that yet.

I just looked through the manual but could not find an "oid data type".
I thought that oids were some kind of unique row "address" (at least
that's what http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/datatype-oid.html
sates as far as I can tell)

Can you point me to the manual for these types of BLOBs are described?
The "Data Types" chapter does not list them as far as I can tell.

Background: I'm maintaining a SQL front end (Java/JDBC based) which
supports reading and writing of BLOBs and I would like to make sure that
I also support these "oid data type" BLOBs

Regards
Thomas