Re: jdbc lob and postgresql

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jdbc lob and postgresql
Date: 2007-12-13 07:24:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Thomas Kellerer wrote:

>> I am contemplating to use postgresql for a product that requires to
>> manipulate many blobs.
>> From the documentation I am not clear if one has to use postgres api to
>> insert/update/select blobs or one can use standard jdbc api?
>> Can I just execute a statement insert into (..) that has a blob and do a
>> getBlob to retrieve it?
>
> Using a PreparedStatement with setBinaryStream() to insert the blob and
> getBinaryStream() to read the BLOB works fine for me.

It depends how you want to handle binary data on the server side.
get/setBinaryStream only work with the bytea data type. getBlob/setBlob
only work with real large objects (oid data type). Both methods work,
it's just a tradeoff on how you want handle it on the server. The API
downside of Blob is that only JDBC4 offers a portable way to create a Blob
(Connection.createBlob) and the pg driver does not implement that yet.

Kris Jurka