fighting '<IDLE> in transaction'

From: Vladimir Rusinov <vladimir(at)greenmice(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: fighting '<IDLE> in transaction'
Date: 2009-11-03 11:31:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi!

We are having a lot of '<IDLE> in transaction' processes in production
database. This does not seems to be big problem now, since they are not
taking any big locks. But I'm aware that sometime it can become a problem.
Currently I'm just killing all processes that are in 'idle in transaction'
for more than 1 minute.

Our application is quite big and complex, so it's not easy to find peace of
code where it happens. How can I get transaction history for processes that
idle in transaction to send it to developers so they can find problem in
code.

We are running postgresql 8.3 with query logging off (turning it on causes
performance disaster). Application is run under jboss and AFAIK uses
hibernate.

--
Vladimir Rusinov
http://greenmice.info/