Re: Need help in enabling remote connection

From: Shruthi A <shruthi(dot)iisc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need help in enabling remote connection
Date: 2009-11-03 08:53:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all your replies. The problem is solved now. This is the
correct thing to do: listen_addresses = '*'
And then restart the service.

Additional notes:
-- Remember to use single quotes around the * else it will give syntax
error.
-- The listen_addresses parameter specifies the client addresses, and not
the server.
-- Once this service is started, telneting the server on the given port
successfully connects.
-- Dear Ian Lea, i guess 10.0.0.1/24 is the same as 10.0.0.0/24 as the
mask '24' means that the first 3 octets (24 bits from the left hand side)
must match ie both mean simply 10.0.0.*
-- And i think 'trust' should be fine assuming that this will be used on an
isolated network with a few trusted machines or a secure network where a
firewall protects a given set of ports.
-- Dear Brian Modra, i guess listen_addresses = 'localhost,10.0.0.123'
will give error. It should be written as listen_addresses =
'localhost','10.0.0.123' that is each IP should be quoted separately.

Thanks again,
Shruthi