Re: Question regarding the database page layout.

From: "Ryan Bradetich" <rbradetich(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question regarding the database page layout.
Date: 2008-09-02 16:06:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Martijn,

> You need to arrange testing on an architechture that has strict
> alignment reuiqrements. For example i386 doesn't care about alignment
> at all and will anything from anywhere, with performance degradation.
>
> Other architechtures will simply throw exceptions, that's the smoke
> test.

From other comments in this thread, I still have quite a bit of work ahead
of me :) If I can accomplish this, then I will run it on a different
architecture.
I have access to a parisc-linux and a powerpc system.

> Also, what's the performance cost?

Not sure yet. My goal would be 0 impact on 32-bit system and something small
on 64-bit systems that would hopefully be overcome by a performance gain in IO.

Thanks for your feedback.

- Ryan