Re: Question regarding the database page layout.

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Ryan Bradetich <rbradetich(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question regarding the database page layout.
Date: 2008-09-02 10:14:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 01:49:43AM -0700, Ryan Bradetich wrote:
> For fun, I looked around in heap_form_tuple() today to see how big of a job this
> change would be. It did not seem very hard to implement. I know there are
> probably several other places I missed with this patch, but this patch does pass
> the regression tests and simple testing I threw at it (including ALTER TABLE
> ADD COLUMN, etc).

You need to arrange testing on an architechture that has strict
alignment reuiqrements. For example i386 doesn't care about alignment
at all and will anything from anywhere, with performance degradation.

Other architechtures will simply throw exceptions, that's the smoke
test.

Also, what's the performance cost?

Have a nice day,