Re: Auto creation of Partitions

From: NikhilS <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Shane Ambler" <pgsql(at)sheeky(dot)biz>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, "Jim Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Auto creation of Partitions
Date: 2007-03-10 05:13:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi,

> > Given that Simon wants to do away with having the master table APPENDed
> in
> > the planning phase, this would be better.
> >

> ISTM you're trading appending the master table for appending the DUMP
> partition, which afaict would give you no gain.

If there are entries in the master table, I think it would get appended for
all queries regardless of whether we need to examine its contents or not.
Segregating dump data into a partition will avoid that.

I have seen examples in some other databases wherein a partition specifies a
range of "someval - MAXINT" for instance, to catch such cases.

That again means that the onus is on the partition creator most of the
times..
Regards,
Nikhils