Re: Merchandising, merchandising.. on the postgresql.eu site

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>, rod <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>, Tommy Gildseth <tommy(dot)gildseth(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>, pgeu-general <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Merchandising, merchandising.. on the postgresql.eu site
Date: 2009-11-27 09:30:08
Lists: pgeu-general

2009/11/27 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I'm no designer, but I've added some initial ideas to the wiki:
> > http://wiki.postgresql.eu/wiki/Merchandise#Designs
>
> Oooh, shiny :-)
>
> Few thoughts:
>
> - Using the blue elephant logo on a blue shirt is a recipe for
> disaster, if the shades of blue don't match well (and it's likely they
> won't). I'd use the white outline elephant on most coloured shirts in
> fact (I'll see if I can find the graphics I produced for the black UK
> conference shirts for you).
>
> - Personally I prefer a more subtle logo/tagline on the breast fo the
> shirt, rather than a huge one across it.
>
> - On the sweatshirts, I like the sleeves and the tagline across the
> back (though that has lost a couple of qualifying words). It could
> perhaps use 'PostgreSQL' near it so people don't have to look at a
> sleeve or the front to understand what the shirt is about.
>
> - Like the footy shirt idea :-)
>
> - Wot no:
>
> BEGIN;
> SELECT PostgreSQL();
> COMMIT;
>
> mug? :-)
>
> --

D'oh! I've just noticed I didn't put the "open source" in "The world's most
advanced open source database"... but you get the idea.

Yeah, the blue elephant on blue would look a bit crap. That's easy to fix.
Select by colour, select the white, invert selection, delete. Nice white
outline. :)

As for using a small subtle logo, the image doesn't scale well on their
design tool, so it would look like a glitch, but I agree. Big logos look
rubbish generally.

These are mainly just ideas though which obviously need refining and
fleshing out a bit more. I'll try to get more design-minded folk I know to
come up with something too.

As for your SQL command... pedantry will inevitably ensue: PostgreSQL isn't
case-sensitive, and since it's only 1 command you wouldn't need a separate
transaction for it ;) But seriously, yes we can use that too.

However, it is disappointing they don't do many non-clothing items. A lot
of the ones they do offer are pointless, like dog scarfs and a bandanas.
Maybe if I whine at them enough they'll add more to their list.

Thom