Re: file system and raid performance

From: david(at)lang(dot)hm
To: Mark Wong <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Gabrielle Roth <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: file system and raid performance
Date: 2008-08-05 05:04:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Mark Wong wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've thrown together some results from simple i/o tests on Linux
> comparing various file systems, hardware and software raid with a
> little bit of volume management:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5_Tuning_Guide
>
> What I'd like to ask of the folks on the list is how relevant is this
> information in helping make decisions such as "What file system should
> I use?" "What performance can I expect from this RAID configuration?"
> I know these kind of tests won't help answer questions like "Which
> file system is most reliable?" but we would like to be as helpful as
> we can.
>
> Any suggestions/comments/criticisms for what would be more relevant or
> interesting also appreciated. We've started with Linux but we'd also
> like to hit some other OS's. I'm assuming FreeBSD would be the other
> popular choice for the DL-380 that we're using.
>
> I hope this is helpful.

it's definantly timely for me (we were having a spirited 'discussion' on
this topic at work today ;-)

what happened with XFS?

you show it as not completing half the tests in the single-disk table and
it's completly missing from the other ones.

what OS/kernel were you running?

if it was linux, which software raid did you try (md or dm) did you use
lvm or raw partitions?

David Lang