Re: systems 2007 ...

From: "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Susanne Ebrecht" <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
Cc: "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, "Hans-Juergen Schoenig" <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Robert Gravsjö <robert(at)blogg(dot)se>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: systems 2007 ...
Date: 2007-11-02 08:38:22
Lists: pgeu-general

Ciao Susanne,

But making a flyer is very difficult, because you really get sure, that
> there is nothing inside, where MySQL could say, PostgreSQL is bashing
> them.

Well, it depends on how these flyers are written. I am personally against a
crusade versus MySQL, as I believe it is counter-productive. I am sure most
of us think like that too.

One of the main open source thoughts is, that there are several products
> where the user can decide on his own, what he/she will prefer or which
> system is better for his/her software.

Exactly.

However, a transparent comparison could really help users understand the
differences and freely decide. Those flyers won't say anything wrong or
lies. Simply state the objective differences, not only the technical ones,
but even the support ones: for instance, they have professional support. We
do have an efficient community support.

I always tried to switch topic, when I got a MySQL vs. PostgreSQL
> question at a PostgreSQL booth.

IMHO, it is worth trying, for the sake of users and the sake of PostgreSQL.

Thank you.

Ciao,
Gabriele