installation and pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF

From: "Dmitri G(dot) Chtchekine" <dgchtch(at)emory(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: installation and pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF
Date: 1999-08-24 22:50:48
Lists: pgsql-general

I have tried to install the PostgreSQL 6.5.1, but I think the installation
wasn't done correctly. Firstly, in INSTALLATION step 14 it says that the
last line in file make.install.log is

gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pgsql/src/man'

However in my make.install.log it is

gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dgchtch/pgsql/src/pl'

and directory /usr/src/pgsql/src/man is never mentioned in
make.install.log.
Secondly, step 9 of the installation says:
$ su
$ cd /usr/src
$ mkdir pgsql
$ chown postgres:postgres pgsql
Is this important ? I don't have superuser priveleges so I can't do 'su'
command.

The installation problem manifests itself like this:

When I run first createdb I get:

>Segmentation Fault - core dumped
>createdb: database creation failed on dgchtch.

The postmaster gives following debug info:

/home/dgchtch/pgsql/bin/postmaster: BackendStartup: pid 28832 user dgchtch
db template1 socket 4
FindExec: found "/home/dgchtch/pgsql/bin/postgres" using argv[0]
started: host=localhost user=dgchtch database=template1
InitPostgres
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
proc_exit(0) [#0]
shmem_exit(0) [#0]
exit(0)
/home/dgchtch/pgsql/bin/postmaster: reaping dead processes...
/home/dgchtch/pgsql/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 28832 exited with
status 0

Same happens if I do:
psql template1

If I do:
psql -c "create database dgchtch template1"
Connection to database 'dgchtch' failed.
FATAL 1: Database dgchtch does not exist in pg_database

Any clues??

Thanks!