RE: [GENERAL] newbe question

From: microbe(at)chollian(dot)net
To: Daniel Pider <dpeder(at)infoset(dot)cz>
Cc: "'Phil Oelkers'" <Phil(dot)Oelkers(at)experian(dot)com>, "'Pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org'" <Pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] newbe question
Date: 1999-08-25 01:26:36
Lists: pgsql-general

If postmaster is really running, su the user who running postmaster
(should not be root).
and run the following two commands.

$ initdb
$ createuser anyuser

According to your Linux distribution, initdb may have been performed.
(my RedHat 6.0 scripts for postgres in rc.d/ directory runs initdb.)
In this case you don't have to run initdb.

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Daniel Pider wrote:

> login as the root and at the linux prompt # type following
> =======example=======
> ps aux | grep postmaster
> =====================
>
> then You should get few lines containig one looking like that, notice the text "postmaster" at the end of line:
> =====example===========
> postgres 345 0.0 2.9 3376 904 ? S 12:31 0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -
> if not, then the backend server is not running - so it is not installed

Science is the game we play with God to find out what his rules are.
Doo Suk Yang
Research Scientist Voice: 82-42-866-2222
LG Chemical Ltd. Research Park
Biotech Research Institute I FAX: 82-42-861-2566
A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.
(Proverbs 18:2)