Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...
Date: 2002-09-11 01:31:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I disagree. Choosing the compiler options is exactly the job of the
> installer, packager, or distributor.

If there is one, yes.

> I don't think we're doing anyone a service if we spread wild speculations
> about how risky certain compiler options are. If your compiler creates
> broken code, don't use it. Packagers are expected to know about their
> compiler. If they create broken packages and behave irresponsibly about
> it they won't be making packages much longer.

However, many users are not as knowledgable as packagers, but may
still be compiling from source. For those people, I don't think it's
unreasonable to say, "Use -O2 unless you know what you are doing."

(I'm not sure we're actually disagreeing here, but I just wanted to make
this point clear.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC