Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...
Date: 2002-09-11 02:11:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 09:31 pm, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > I disagree. Choosing the compiler options is exactly the job of the
> > installer, packager, or distributor.

> If there is one, yes.

If the enduser is directly compiling the source, then that user is responsible
for passing the flags desired -- they become their own packager.

> However, many users are not as knowledgable as packagers, but may
> still be compiling from source. For those people, I don't think it's
> unreasonable to say, "Use -O2 unless you know what you are doing."

I still remember when the Alpha port _required_ -O0. And it was documented
that way, IIRC.

Compiling from source implies certain knowledge. Automated from source
builds, such as ports or linux distributions such as Gentoo can handle this
in their own build systems.

If someone can figure out how to override the default, then they can deal with
the results, IMHO.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio