Re: postmaster problem

From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl(at)sdf(dot)lonestar(dot)org>
To: Tyson Oswald <tysono_71(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postmaster problem
Date: 2002-01-28 02:22:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Tyson Oswald wrote:

> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 16:30:03 -0800 (PST)
> From: Tyson Oswald <tysono_71(at)yahoo(dot)com>
> To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Subject: [ADMIN] postmaster problem
>
> I just recently upgraded my Linux kernel to
> 2.4.8-34mdk, and now I cannot connect to postgresql
> through psql or pgaccess. I receive the following
> error apon the service starting up.
> pg_ctl: Another postmaster may be running. Trying to
> start postmaster anyway.
>
> This happend apon bootup and also when I restart the
> service. Unix domain sockets is installed in the
> kernel and entries are in the /etc/services for
> tcp/5432 and udp/5432.
>
> I get this error when I run
> psql -d template1
> psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such
> file or directory
> Is the postmaster running locally
> and accepting connections on Unix socket
> '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?
>
> What celse an cause these errors?

This normally means it was shut down without cleaning itself up as far as
I know. If your PGDATA directory has the .pid file still in it and you are
sure postmaster is not running (ps aux | grep -i postmaster shows
nothing), then you know that was the case. I'm too new to know what's OK
to delete and what not to delete, and exactly needs to be done to clean up
an unclean shutdown.

Andy

acruhl(at)sdf(dot)lonestar(dot)org