postmaster problem

From: Tyson Oswald <tysono_71(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postmaster problem
Date: 2002-01-28 00:30:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

I just recently upgraded my Linux kernel to
2.4.8-34mdk, and now I cannot connect to postgresql
through psql or pgaccess. I receive the following
error apon the service starting up.
pg_ctl: Another postmaster may be running. Trying to
start postmaster anyway.

This happend apon bootup and also when I restart the
service. Unix domain sockets is installed in the
kernel and entries are in the /etc/services for
tcp/5432 and udp/5432.

I get this error when I run
psql -d template1
psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such
file or directory
Is the postmaster running locally
and accepting connections on Unix socket
'/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?

What celse an cause these errors?

thanks,
Tyson Oswald