Re: [GENERAL] Slow Searches using MSAccess and ODBC to a PostGreSQL database

From: dustin sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
To: Valerio Santinelli <tanis(at)mediacom(dot)it>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Slow Searches using MSAccess and ODBC to a PostGreSQL database
Date: 1998-12-19 03:14:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Valerio Santinelli wrote:

What does the query look like, and what does the table look like?

// I've just setted up my PostGreSQL database on a Linux machine and it
// seems to work fine with the radius daemon i'm currently working on.
//
// Now I need to interface it with MSAccess to access data about our
// customers and other stuff stored in the postgres database. It seems to
// work correctly as to insertion, update and so on, but when I'm doing a
// search on every field on a substring it gets something like 2 minutes
// and a half to look in a 1500 records database and you all know that'd
// way too much.
// The search is on 8 fields on a single table.. what could I do to speed
// it up ? (When i was running this database just on Access it took at most
// 2 seconds for the whole search)
//
// I gave a look to the log and it seems that for every search on a single
// record it involves seven transactions on the same record.. that sounds
// strange to me.. anybody who can help me out ?
//
// Thanks.
//
// Valerio Santinelli
// tanis(at)mediacom(dot)it
//
//
//

--
Principle Member Technical Staff, beyond.com The world is watching America,
pub 1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>