Re: does wal archiving block the current client connection?

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: does wal archiving block the current client connection?
Date: 2006-05-17 16:11:51
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 17 May 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

>> The "lurking feeling" scenario above might or might nor be an issue
>> here, but I can't see how the archiver could be involved at all.
>
> Well, I don't see it either; at this point we're waiting on Jeff to
> provide some harder evidence ...

Was the 3,000 transactions per minute helpful? What other evidence should I
be looking for? Really the only evidence I have at this point is that when
the NAS gets rebooted and comes back up, the postmaster resumes normal
operations and the client count goes back down; however, that could just be
coincidental, but we've seen it happen 3 times now. This might have nothing
to do with archiving, it just seems like the only likely candidate since there
are only two things which happen on this volmume: PITR and rsyncing of
pg_dumps (we dump locally first for speed reasons). Maybe this is just a
linux kernel thing? Or maybe something else is blocking because it tries to
stat all the filesystems and /mnt/pgbackup blocks? I can't imagine postgres
doing that though.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/