Re: pg_guc

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)redhat(dot)com>, Aizaz Ahmed <aahmed(at)redhat(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_guc
Date: 2003-06-27 12:38:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fernando Nasser writes:

> We have a server side GUI utility that among other things let us configure GUC
> variables. We badly need to know what variables exist in the specific backend
> version, which are the min and max values and if possible a description.

In that case I think it's best to put it directly into the server
executable and add an option like --help-long or possibly some variations
if you need specific program-parsable formats. This would certainly solve
a few of the implementation concerns I've heard about, and it's also a
fairly logical place to look for it.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net