Re: row description for domain in 7.4

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: John DeSoi <jd(at)icx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: row description for domain in 7.4
Date: 2003-06-27 12:37:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John DeSoi writes:

> To me this seems completely wrong. The whole point of getting the
> domain is so that I can know how I should parse the result coming from
> the server. If I use a text domain, I can't distinguish the domain
> column from any other text column and perform some other kind of
> processing on the data.

No, the whole point of domains is to restrict a datum (column, etc.) of a
certain type to a subset of the allowable values. But the data is still
of the same type, so it is generally inappropriate to treat it differently
in the client or anywhere else where type identity matters. If you dig
through the SQL standard, you will see this theme throughout.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net