Re: Libpq is not a shared library on Mac OS X

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Benjamin Reed <ranger(at)befunk(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Libpq is not a shared library on Mac OS X
Date: 2003-01-09 21:50:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane writes:

> I will test and apply the parts that are related to OS X shared library
> behavior. If Benjamin wants to advocate the other stuff (like pam.h
> search path) that should be handled as separate patches.

One thing I like about the patch is that it introduces a differentiation
between run-time loadable modules and build-time linkable libraries, which
is something I've wanted to do for a while. Even on platforms where this
isn't technically necessary we could choose better file names, such as
plpgsql.so instead of libplpgsql.so.0.0. I'd prefer if a more general
term than "bundle" is used.

However, the trick is that some libraries may be used both ways. For
example, libpgtcl is build-time linked by pgtclsh but run-time loaded by
PgAccess. (PgAccess uses the shared-library extension provided by the Tcl
configuration interface, which might be equally confused about this issue.
It's further complicated because you can actually run-time load the
build-time linkable file type if you try hard enough. So be sure to check
that whatever you do works with PgAccess.)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net