Re: IPv6 patch

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Rocco Altier <RoccoA(at)Routescape(dot)com>, Nigel Kukard <nkukard(at)lbsd(dot)net>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: IPv6 patch
Date: 2003-01-07 20:58:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian writes:

> Peter was the first to mention it. His reasoning was that if IPv6 was
> working, but then stopped working, the admin would never know on startup
> because of the IPv4 fallback.

My view was that we should treat unix, ipv4, and ipv6 as independent
address families each with their own on/off switch (except that unix
doesn't have an off switch). Tom's view is that we should treat ipv4 and
ipv6 as effectively one address family. That makes sense, too, and it is
probably more with the spirit of IPv6.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net