Re: Linux 2.6 kernel, tuned for use with databases - does

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: <Martin_Hurst(at)dom(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6 kernel, tuned for use with databases - does
Date: 2003-06-09 16:06:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 Martin_Hurst(at)dom(dot)com wrote:

> I was reading the following Information Week article:
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=10100565&pgno=2

> Linux is likely to make inroads in the enterprise with the release later
> this year of the 2.6 kernel, tuned for use with databases, Witham says.
> Changes to the Linux 2.6 kernel will let programs access more data with
> greater reliability and run heavier processing loads. It will improve the
> performance of databases on eight- and 16-way symmetric multiprocessor
> servers, include new file systems that provide faster access to data with
> greater reliability, and make it easier to manage and configure storage on
> large arrays.
>
> Are there plans to have Postgresql take advantage of the new Linux 2.6
> kernel?

Nothing really needs to be done. If Linux 2.6 is faster at SMP, then
postgresql gets to be faster too. The APIs haven't changed, the kernel's
just been made to run more efficiently under high load, so Postgresql will
just run faster.

That's what's so nice about good modular design. The pgsql team don't
have to pay a lot of attention to the differences between bsd, linux,
hpux, solaris, etc... to get good performance.

I rememeber seeing noticeable performance gains going from the 2.2 kernel
to the 2.4 kernel, I'm sure I'll see them again when 2.6 goes live.