Re: Functions and Triggers

From: Cedar Cox <cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com>
To: Norbert Schollum <schollum(at)equinux(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Functions and Triggers
Date: 2001-03-26 13:44:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

CREATE FUNCTION lastupdated() RETURNS opaque AS '
begin
new.last_updated := CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;
return new;
end;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

CREATE TRIGGER trigname BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE on tblname
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE lastupdated();

Note: you could use now() instead of CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

Note2: on a BEFORE trigger you must return new or old. If you return null
the statement will be aborted. (?)

-Cedar